Back and Forth
On July 29th 2003 my friend Teal sent me the following personality quiz, filled out with her answers, and implored me to answer the questions myself and send them back to her. I don’t know if kids still do this stuff- I’m guessing probably not- but in the early ‘00s, e-mail and MSN exchanges were rife with this sort of thing.
It’s a snapshot of who I was at a particular moment in time. It was only months before my first real life relationship (with Teal), and months before I was coerced into appearing in a musical. I was right in the middle of high school, and right in the middle of my struggle with PTSD. I had been sixteen for a month and a half. I was about to embark on the most eventful school year of my life, and one of the most formative. But I didn’t know that yet.
These are the answers… all one hundred. I will not blame you if you fall asleep.
If your MSN responses start looking like “suhwfihfghhv” I’ll understand and follow your lead. 🙂
>1. Full name: David James Preyde
>2. Nicknames: Not yet… some drunken frat brother in the future might give me one someday. 😉
>3. Eyes: Blue
>4. Height: 5 foot 9
>6. Siblings: 1
>7. Do u like to sing in the shower: On occasion.
>8. Do u like to sing: Yep.
>9. Birthday: June 14th 1987
>11. Address: Unit 46, Camelot Court
>12. Sex: Male
>13. Righty or Lefty: Righty
>14. What do you want in a relationship most: Honesty, and a good sense of humour. One keeps the peace and the other keeps the sanity.
>15. Have you ever cheated: Nope.
>16. Martial status: Single.
>17. Do you have a car: Nope.
>18. What kinda car do you have: My family has an old, crotchety grey one and a five year old red minivan that’s in surprisingly good shape.
>19. Movie: Pleasantville, and some childhood favourites.
>20. Song: Jane by Ben Folds, Life In a Nutshell by Barenaked Ladies.
>22. TV Show: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Train 48, Monty Python.
>23. Actor: Johnny Depp, Toby Maguire, Brent Spiner.
>24. Actress: Christina Ricci and some others.
>25. Food: Anything that’ll shorten my lifespan by a good twenty years… junk food is wonderful.
>26. Number: 42… it’s the answer to everything.
>27. Cartoon: Calvin and Hobbes or Bloom County…. I don’t think I have a favourite TV cartoon except perhaps Spongebob.
>28. Disney Character: Goofy.
>29. Colour: Medium to dark shades of green, blue and purplish blue.
>LOVE LIFE ETC:
>30. Do you plan on having kids: Nah… they’re maggots. 😉
>33. How old do you wanna be: Mid thirties for marriage, I’m thinking.
>35. Do u have a b/f or g/f: Nope.
>37. Do you have a crush: I don’t think so…
>EITHER-OR (PICK WHICH ONE YOU PREFER)
>38. Music/TV: It depends… maybe TV.
>40. Green/Blue: Blue.
>41. Pink/Purple: Purple.
>42. Summer/Winter: Hmm… maybe spring.
>43. Night/Day: Dawn.
>44. Hangin Out/Chillin: Is there a difference?
>45. Dopey/Funny: Funny.
>46. You know I’m around when you hear: Creepy music.
>47. What school do u go to?: O’Neill.
>49. What’s a major turn on for you?: Being able to talk about anything.
>50. How far would you go on the first date? Depends.
>51. MosT blonde: I used to be blond. I think I evolved…
>52. NiCeSt: Teal.
>53. FuNnIeSt: Creepy funny or funny funny?
>54. TaLLeSt: Chris or Mike. I think it’s Mike…
>55. BeSt pErSoNaLiTy: All my friends have a great personality.
>56. Which 5 people do you trust and are open with the most?: My friend Rachel, Teal, Chris… I think that’s it.
>57. What do you think of soul mates: They’re probably out there… hiding somewhere.
>58. Is it right to flirt if you have a bf/gf: God, no.
>59. What was the last thing you cried over or got teary about: I forget.
>60. What’s something about guys/girls you don’t get: Where exactly did their train of logic derail?
>61. Why?: I think I think too much.
>62. Whats an object you can’t live without? My house.
>63. Love or Lust: Love
>64. Silver or gold: Lead.
>62. Diamond or pearl: Pearl.
>63. Sunset or sunrise: Sunrise.
>64. Have you ever gone skinny-dipping?: Nope.
>65. Do you sleep with stuffed animals: Nope.
>66. Do you have any piercings: I don’t think so.
>67. What clour underwear are you wearing?: Uh…
>68. What song are u listening to right now? I’m listening to some newscaster drone on on the T.V.
>69: Whats the last 4 digits of your phone: 3922… or is it? No, it is.
>70. Where would you want to go on your honeymoon?: Bed and breakfasting across the rural U.K. or Cape Cod.
>71. Who do you want to spend the rest of your life with: I don’t know… someone steady, who knows me better than I know myself.
>72. What’s the first thing you notice about the opposite sex: The expression on their faces, and the way they hold themselves.
>73. Favourite sport: Conversation.
>74. What makes you happy?: There’s a certain high you get by just getting outside and surrounding yourself with things you love. For me, those are like historic neighbourhoods. That makes me quite happy.
>75. What’s the next cd you’re gonna get: I’m not sure… I’m thinking maybe Simon and Garfunkel’s Bookends, but I probably won’t.
>76. Do u wear contacts or glasses: Nope.
>77. What’s the best advice given to you: I’ve never had good advice out and out verbally given to me, but some advice instilled upon me is that individuality is important, and you should never hold back emotions you’re feeling.
>78. Have you ever won any special awards: Some Academic stuff.
>79. What are your future goals? I want to be able to live off my writing… which will be quite a feat.
>80. Worst sickness u ever had? I’ve never really had a major illness. I’m sure something will come along eventually… at the rate I’m going, diabetes and heart disease are two likely candidates.
>81. Do you like Funny or Scary movies better: I really like both.
>82. On the phone or in person: On the phone.
>84. What song seems to reflect you the most: Maybe Strawberry Fields Forever.
>85. If you died tomorrow who would you leave everything you own to: The Art Gallery of Ontario, with direct instructions to put it all on public display… just to annoy them.
>86. Friends or enemies? Friends
>88. Would you rather be rich or famous? Famous.
>89. What time is it in Albania now? Not the same time that it is here.
>90. Have you ever been in love: Yep.
>91. Have you met Santa: Our eyes met one Christmas night nine years ago and he said slowly but surely, “You realize I have to kill you now, right?”
>92. If someone gave you the finger what would you do?: Smile and wave.
>93. who was the last person you talked to on the phone?: My mom.
>94. Do u have any pets: One… the most wonderful dog on the planet.
>96. Last time you were depressed: I can’t remember.
>97. Are you an alcoholic?: Of course not.
>98. Who sent this to you?: Teal.
>99. What do you think of this person: She’s great.
>100. Do you want your friends to send this back?: I don’t think that’s allowed. :-p
I thought it would be interesting if I answered the same questions again, to see what’s changed and what hasn’t. Below are the answers to these questions as of August 20th 2014. Another snapshot. God only knows what I’m on the cusp of this time around.
1. Full name: David James Preyde
2. Nicknames: Davis, Dervid, Derpvid, Derp, and Star Lord
3. Eyes: Two
4. Height: 5’10
6. Siblings: One
7. Do u like to sing in the shower: When I’m alone in the house.
8. Do u like to sing: When I’m alone in the house.
9. Birthday: June 14th 1987
11. Address: I recently moved to a swell apartment in the Annex.
12. Sex: Male
13. Righty or Lefty: Righty
14. What do you want in a relationship most: The ability to work through problems together and communicate thoroughly and kindly with each other. Also, humour. Humour is crucial.
15. Have you ever cheated: Nope.
16. Martial status: I’m secretly married to an Albanian fox hunter. Don’t tell Hannah.
17. Do you have a car: Hahaha, can you imagine me driving?
18. What kinda car do you have: Seriously, I’d be all, “Derpity doo!” as I’m plowing through pedestrians.
19. Movie: Mary Poppins. Always has been, always will.
20. Song: Feed the Birds, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, Unchained Melody.
22. TV Show: Star Trek: The Next Generation.
23. Actor: Probably Timothy Spall. Or John C. Reilly.
24. Actress: Melissa Leo.
25. Food: Pizza.
26. Number: Zero. I find it conceptually interesting.
27. Cartoon: My favourite short cartoon is Clock Cleaners. My favourite animated movie is Beauty and the Beast.
28. Disney Character: Dug!
29. Colour: Blue.
LOVE LIFE ETC:
30. Do you plan on having kids: Just one. SO THEY’D BETTER BE FUCKING PERFECT!
33. How old do you wanna be: Somewhere between 32 and 37, I guess. I need to get my shit together first.
35. Do u have a b/f or g/f: I do.
37. Do you have a crush: No, I’m totally in lurve.
EITHER-OR (PICK WHICH ONE YOU PREFER)
38. Music/TV: Music.
40. Green/Blue: Blue.
41. Pink/Purple: Purple.
42. Summer/Winter: Spring.
43. Night/Day: Day.
44. Hangin Out/Chillin: Chillin’. Like a villain.
45. Dopey/Funny: Both.
46. You know I’m around when you hear: The sound of sirens getting closer.
47. What school do u go to?: I dropped out of Canada’s most prestigious university. I’m so proud.
49. What’s a major turn on for you?: Kindness and confidence. This is why I’m drawn to social activists.
50. How far would you go on the first date? Victoria Park.
51. MosT blonde: I don’t have any blond friends.
52. NiCeSt: All my friends are awful.
53. FuNnIeSt: All my friends are funny.
54. TaLLeSt: Foster, probably.
55. BeSt pErSoNaLiTy: All my friends have entirely too much personality.
56. Which 5 people do you trust and are open with the most?: My immediate family, plus Hannah, and honestly, probably you- the reader of this blog- would come in fifth. You know way too much about me.
57. What do you think of soul mates: There’s a novel called Everything Matters! which postulates that there are tens of thousands of people with whom we would lead equally happy lives, and that the relationship we end up in is mostly due to geographic and economic circumstances. I’m inclined to agree with this idea. It’s more reassuring to think that there are 10,000 people standing between me and a lifetime of loneliness as opposed to just one.
58. Is it right to flirt if you have a bf/gf: If they’re okay with it.
59. What was the last thing you cried over or got teary about: Not a big cryer, but I got misty-eyed yesterday while thinking about the gender politics of Carole King’s version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. It’s the only version I know of which features male backing vocals (by James Taylor) which changes and- I think- enriches the meaning of the song.
60. What’s something about guys/girls you don’t get: Makeup. Perfume.
61. Why?: “People can like you just the way you are.” –Fred Rogers
62. Whats an object you can’t live without?: Hydrogen.
63. Love or Lust: Love.
64. Silver or gold: Not a big jewelry person.
62. Diamond or pearl: Not even 100% sure I’m spelling “jewelry” right.
63. Sunset or sunrise: Sunrise.
64. Have you ever gone skinny-dipping?: Not yet.
65. Do you sleep with stuffed animals: I don’t.
66. Do you have any piercings: My sensibilities are pretty conservative. I just have a Prince Albert.
67. What clour underwear are you wearing?: Blue and white stripes. Now you really know too much about me.
68. What song are u listening to right now?: No music at the moment. I’ve been wanting to listen to Dance Apocalyptic for a few days, but I don’t have access to the Internet.
69: Whats the last 4 digits of your phone: Hahaha, no.
70. Where would you want to go on your honeymoon?: London.
71. Who do you want to spend the rest of your life with: I want to get married eventually and have a kid, and I hope- I pray- that they both outlive me.
72. What’s the first thing you notice about the opposite sex: I think it probably depends on the person. They might be six feet tall, or have a hand growing out of their face.
73. Favourite sport: I don’t do sports.
74. What makes you happy?: Hanging out with Hannah and not doing much of anything, knowing that tomorrow will be more of the same.
75. What’s the next cd you’re gonna get: God, when was the last time I bought a CD?
76. Do u wear contacts or glasses: Nope.
77. What’s the best advice given to you: Not given to me specifically, but there’s something from a Supertramp song which has really stuck with me: “Though you feel that your life has become a catastrophe, oh, it has to be for you to grow.”
78. Have you ever won any special awards: Yeah.
79. What are your future goals?: I want to make a decent living off of my writing, or at least bring some money in. A happy marriage. I want to have a kid and not fuck them up.
80. Worst sickness u ever had?: PTSD. Whoo boy, that was a bitch.
81. Do you like Funny or Scary movies better: Funny.
82. On the phone or in person: In person. Though I prefer the Internet to both.
84. What song seems to reflect you the most: This changes. At the moment, probably Follow Me from Fraggle Rock.
85. If you died tomorrow who would you leave everything you own to: I’ve actually had an unofficial last will and testament since I was 17. In it, I stipulate that I don’t give a shit what happens to my shit.
86. Friends or enemies?: Friends. Who would say enemies?
88. Would you rather be rich or famous?: Rich. Definitely rich.
89. What time is it in Albania now?: I can actually answer this: it is 6:20 P.M. I took a book out of the library on business etiquette in European countries, and it includes information about varying time zones.
90. Have you ever been in love: Yep.
91. Have you met Santa: I did. He killed my parents.
92. If someone gave you the finger what would you do?: Depends on the person. And if it was their finger or not.
93. who was the last person you talked to on the phone?: Hannah texted me at 4 AM, though I obviously didn’t reply right away.
94. Do u have any pets: My family has two dogs: Gracie, who is psychotic, and Sophie, who is a retarded cuddle bitch.
96. Last time you were depressed: March 1997.
97. Are you an alcoholic?: I would be if I drank.
98. Who sent this to you?: My sixteen-year-old self.
99. What do you think of this person: He’s way too hard on himself. He thinks he’s crazy, but he’s just a little mentally ill.
100. Do you want your friends to send this back?: I don’t think that’s possible.