What Kind of Year Has It Been
In approximate chronological order, this year
- I wandered around the campus of the University of Waterloo in the icy cold, marveling at its inaccessibility.
- I saw a dead body for the first time. And went underwear shopping afterward.
- I went to the C.N. Tower for the first time in 19 years. It was in the middle of the polar vortex, and Toronto’s harbour was almost completely frozen.
- I orchestrated a treasure hunt across downtown Toronto.
- I started swimming weekly with Hannah at a children’s rehab hospital.
- In a fit of autism, I watched fifty episodes of The Twilight Zone in the span of about a month and graded them all on a letter scale. The lowest mark was a C-, I believe, and the highest (An Occurrence at Owl Creek) was an A+.
- I got bedbugs in my apartment for the third time in three years.
- I read an excellent biography of The Beatles which was about a thousand pages long. It took me five months.
- I walked twenty kilometers with Hannah down Yonge Street, from just north of the 401 to the harbour.
- I starred in an educational movie for adults with Asperger’s.
- Hannah and I walked up a mountain and almost got stuck at the top.
- I tasted St. Herbert’s chicken and was never the same.
- I watched Boyhood and was never the same.
- Hannah and I went out for steak at The Keg and walked up the street afterward to the only custard shop in Toronto. We discussed what kind of a future we wanted.
- I moved into an apartment with a near stranger at the recommendation of my friend Foster. It worked out very well.
- I walked thirty-three kilometers across Toronto for charity.
- I learned how to make fajitas.
- I spent $45 on discount Halloween candy and- in the middle of a dreadful cold- ate most of it. In the middle of the cold, my grandmother informed me that sugar suppresses the immune system.
- My roommate started bringing his family’s dog Mika to stay with us on a regular basis. In addition to being a sweetheart, she is a total shit who will steal and eat anything edible.
- I started writing a book about surviving high school with Asperger’s Syndrome.
- After Hannah told me to shit or get off the pot, I started sending my novel off to publishers.
- I stood outside the World’s Biggest Bookstore as it was being demolished. It was the worst thing I’ve ever seen, and I saw my dog get euthanized.
- My friend Ed informed me that he was moving to Japan in two weeks. I didn’t think he actually would, and then he did.
- I attended Catholic mass.
- I sat in front of a roaring fire and watched Mrs Doubtfire while, sitting next to me, Hannah diligently filled out an endless series of Christmas cards.